Wood – a Construction Material with Potential
Timber and engineered wood are unbeatable in many respects. We have made a list of their many positive attributes and the reasons why they have such enormous potential as modern, sustainable building materials.
Wood: the Oldest Building Material and One of the Most Amazing:
- Wood is the only renewable building material: every five seconds, enough wood grows in Germany to build an entire single-family home.
- Houses made of wood have an excellent carbon footprint: up to 90% better than that of other building methods.
- Owing to the many available kinds of wood and building methods, virtually anything is possible with wood: from panelised to modular construction, and from loadbearing frames to exteriors.
- Few building methods can compete with wood in terms of speed, thanks to extensive prefabrication.
- Wood’s physical properties read like a wish list: stable, compression-proof, lightweight, durable, elastic and airtight.
- The protection from fire provided by wood is calculable – it even offers greater safety than steel.
- A pleasant indoor climate results from the moisture-regulating properties of timber and engineered wood.